Dwellworks Blog

Watch Out for Potential Residence Application Delays in the Netherlands

If you or your employees are applying for entry or residence permits for the Netherlands — you might have to wait a little longer. Due to a surge in applications, Dutch officials are announcing that the targeted processing times might not be met in July or August.

This surge is stemming from an influx of travelers to Europe, which typically happens each year from May to August. So, if this you’re planning on working in the Netherlands, what can you do? If you haven’t applied yet, either get your information in as soon as possible or plan to apply at least a month in advance of your trip so you can avoid having your application delayed. You can apply up to 90 days in advance for your visa.

How Are Netherlands Work Visas Obtained?

To live and work in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you’ll need to apply for a visa no matter what. However, if you’re planning on staying less than 90 days, some countries have agreements with the Dutch government that exempts their citizens from possessing a visa for stays under 90 days. See if your country is on the list here.

If a visa is required, it typically takes two weeks to approve an application but depending on your situation, and the type of visa you need to get, it may take longer. On average — and in the off-season for traveling — it takes about two weeks for visa applications to be approved.  

There are a few different types of visas you can apply for in the Netherlands. For those looking to work in the country, you’ll likely only run into two: A Schengen or MMV provisional residence permit.

A Schengen is a short stay visa that applies to stays less than 90 days. This visa is the option that might not be required if you’re traveling from a different country and allows you to travel to 26 other countries within Europe.

A residence permit is required if you’re planning on staying in the country for more than 90 days, no matter where you’re coming from. This permit allows you to enter the country as a future resident rather than a tourist, which will help you later on when looking for housing.

You don’t need to apply for an MMV if you have any of the following:

  • A valid residence permit from the Netherlands
  • Citizenship in Australia, Canada, an EU/EEA country, Monaco, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Switzerland, Vatican City, or the USA
  • A family member or partner with citizenship in EU/EEA country or Switzerland, even if you hold a different nationality
  • A permanent residence permit in another EU country as a long-term resident-EC CE
  • A European Blue Card in an EU country, or a family member/partner with one
  • A situation that fits circumstances that do not require an MVV

If you need to receive a residence permit to work in the country, you’ll need sponsorship from your employer as well.

Looking for help setting up corporate housing in the Netherlands? Our team is here to help! Reach out to us today to learn more about our services.

Back to Blog Listing

Share on social:


Add a Comment:

Subscribe to our blog: